Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Concert Review – Al Stewart / Gary Wright / The Empty Pockets



Last Friday (November 11) was the long awaited Al Stewart / Gary Wright concert at the Wildey Theater.  I say long awaited, because the concert was originally scheduled to be August 20, but had to be rescheduled.  And the Concert was announced May 17th, and quickly sold out.  So there was a 6 month lag (almost) from when I bought tickets until the show.  No matter, it was worth the wait!
First off, The Wildey.  One of my all time favorite venues.  A converted movie theater in downtown Edwardsville, IL.  Originally built in 1909, it has charm, good acoustics and about 330 super cozy seats.  
 - - -
The Empty Pockets are a band out of Chicago, I had never heard of them.  I don’t know how they got the gig, but they played as opening act, then backed up both “headliners”.  And they did a really good job!  I picked up their newest album at the show, always happy to support new acts.  I didn’t make note of their setlist, but listening to their album (and checking their web site) I’m pretty sure they played these songs (at least):  All I Need, The Barstool, You Know I Do, Find Or Fail…   Plus one of the best versions of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah I’ve heard. 
  - - -
Al Stewart came on next.  He was still pretty spry at 71 years old, and his voice has held up well.  His between song banter was great.  He played about an hour, the following songs (in order):  Sirens Of Titan, Palace Of Versailles, Gina In The Kings Road, Time Passages, On The Border, Midas Shadow, SoHo (Needless To Say), Valentina Way, Year Of The Cat.
 - - -
After a short break, Gary Wright took the stage.  At 73, he’s not quite as spry…  Not particularly mobile, and did not play keyboards (except for a few chords on one or two songs).  But his voice is still strong, and he certainly seemed engaged.  His set was shorter, about 40 minutes, but (predictably) more rocking that Stewart’s.  The Empty Pockets especially seemed to be having fun.  Gary Wright’s set (in order):  Can’t Find No Mercy, Better By You (SpookyTooth), I Know, Someone Like You, Love Taker, Love Is Alive, Dream Weaver.
- - - 

No comments: